Pakistan, officially the Islamic Republic of Pakistan is the sixth most populous country in the world, is home to the second most populous city in the world, and is the second most populous Muslim country. It was established as a modern state in 1947 as one of the two separated parts of the partitioned British India. The creation of this country has been a very unique experience in the history of the world – – this Region in particular. Pakistan is spread over 796,095 sq.km and has a population of about 175 million. It is divided into four provinces Punjab, Sindh, Baluchistan and Khyber pakhtunkhwa.
It has one of the longest international borders in the world – to the East with India, on the West with Iran, Afghanistan and in the north east corner with Peoples Republic of China. It is the Gateway to the landlocked Central Asian States likes Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and Kirghizstan – – to the warm waters of the Arabian Sea and from there to the Middle East, Africa, South Asia and the Far East. Thus its geography is one of the most unique and fascinating!
Pakistan and the World
PAKISTAN has a very significant presence on the world scene. In the past, it has had two of its citizens as the President of UN General Assembly and the President of International Court of Justice at The Hague. It is one of incessant warrior for causes for Freedom, Human Right and Rights of Self Determination – be it Kashmir, Palestine, Bosnia or South Africa (during Apartheid days). It is one of largest contributor of UN Peace Keeping Troops, having acquitted itself excellently on numerous occasions.
It is also a very important founding member of the 56-Nations’ Organisation of Islamic Countries (OIC). It is PAKISTAN that provided the bridge between USA and the Peoples Republic of China in 1972. To help save and protect the US and the World since 2001 ; PAKISTAN has emerged as the MOST IMPORTANT single country in the fight against Terrorism – having paid the Highest Price in Blood !
Stephen Cohn describes this importance “While history has been unkind to Pakistan, its geography has been its greatest benefit. It has resource rich area in the north-west, people rich in the north-east.” Pakistan is a junction of South Asia, West Asia and Central Asia, a way from resource efficient countries to resource deficient countries. Pakistan is a route for transportation, and a front line state against terrorism.
Some Firsts and Bests of Pakistan
- It did produce one Nobel Laureate in Science in Dr. Abdul Salam.
- A 9 years young kid Ms Arfa Karim became the youngest Microsoft Certified in the world.
- PAKISTAN has Basmati Rice among the best in the world, so is its ‘Kinoo Orange’ and ‘Anwar Rattol Mangoes’ — all these are loved all over world !
- The country has been a World Champion in Squash, Cricket and Hockey — the maximum credit for this goes to the vision and management of these sports by Air Marshal (Rtd) M. Nur Khan, the former head of the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA).
- Amazingly PAKISTAN has produced five World Squash Champions – – all from one village Nawan Killi, close to Peshawar in NWFP — reigning supreme for well over 45 years all form one family: Hashim Khan, Azam Khan, Roshan Khan, Jehangir Khan and Jansher Khan.
- We have also produced a World Snooker Champion once.
- Abdul Sattar Edhi, the founder Chairman of Edhi Trust has the largest private Ambulance Service in the world. His organization works nationally as well as internationally, his organization reaches out whenever natural disasters strike anywhere in the world. Though thought to be a very strong potential candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize many times, he has yet to be honoured. May be soon !
- Shaukat Khanum Memorial Hospital and Cancer Research Centre founded by the Cricket Legend Imran Khan is probably the only Free Cancer Hospital For The Poor in the world !